TOP TIER FIRM
Compliance in Mexico
TIER 1 FIRMS
Primarily focused on the financial sector, the compliance practice at Bello, Gallardo, Bonequi y García, S.C. ‘displays adaptability, willingness and availability‘. The 20-strong team handles the spectrum of AML, privacy, anti-corruption and general regulatory matters.
Head of the firm’s financial services practice Miguel Gallardo has over 20 years’ specialization in banking, compliance and insurance work; a National Banking and Securities Commission (NBSC) certified anti-money laundering (AML) expert, he currently acts as compliance officer for Braskem México, among other appointments. Heading the firm’s Madrid office, dual-qualified (Spain/Mexico).
Héctor Guzmán Rodríguez specializes in data protection matters and is CIPP/E-certified with regard to GDPR legislation; while banking-and-compliance senior counsel.
Adolfo Hegewisch is currently on secondment as general counsel to Deutsche Bank Mexico. Recent matters have seen the team provide a combination of compliance, regulatory, AML and data privacy advice to, among others: Credit Suisse, Nu Bank, Banco Inmobiliario Mexicano, Citibanamex, Banco Multiva, Credicer and Deutsche Bank, among others.
Additional key practitioners include senior associate and director of the firm’s healthcare practice Javier Pérez: an NBSC-certified AML expert and authorized financial-institution compliance officer, he too is currently on secondment at Deutsche Bank.
Alejandra Lobato is similarly qualified, his practice focusing more on healthcare and insurance matters; while senior counsel.
Samuel Rivero, in the Querétaro office (opened 2018), can draw on more than ten years’ in-house experience in senior compliance roles, most recently at Scotiabank. The firm is also currently advising more than 65 non-banking financial institutions (SOFOMs), including providing representation before authorities such as the NBSC and CONDUSEF.
Miguel Gallardo-Guerra; Héctor Guzmán Rodríguez; Adolfo Hegewisch
‘BGBG has accompanied us in complex and multidisciplinary processes, always with the best disposition and a lot of professionalism. It has been able to adapt to the changes and demands of our industry with a complete and modern proposal. It displays adaptability, willingness and availability.‘
‘They provide specialised knowledge in all matters related to the compliance of Juntos Financiera in relation to the prevention of money laundering and terrorism, in addition to authorisation from the authorities of the team that attends to us.‘
‘Service, attention and attitude, professional capacity, constant updating and preparation. We’d highlight: Miguel Gallardo, Daniela Alejandra Lobato, Monica Barrios Trejo, Javier Perez, Federico de Palacio, Juan Carlos Morales, Hector Guzman, Jonathan Rangel, Juan Bonequi and Samuel Rivero.‘
Key clients in Compliance
- Alternativa Financiera Prosesa
- Amicorp México
- Banco Inmobiliario Mexicano
- Banco Sabadell
- Banco Santander
- Banco Mercantil del Norte
- Bloom Emprendedores
- Braskem México Proyectos
- Capital Vertical Promotora Empresarial
- Advising Deutsche Bank Mexico on regulatory matters during its sale process, including preparation and implementation of anti-money laundering provisions, and compliance with Mexican financial authorities such as the National Banking and Securities Commission.
- Regular, ongoing compliance services to brokerage firm Morgan Stanley, including annual legal review and the filing of reports before the NBSC.
- Provides compliance and AML services to more than 60 ‘SOFOM’ financial entities, with a number of the firm’s lawyers acting as external compliance officers of non-banking financial institutions in Mexico, providing additional AML advice.
- Ongoing compliance advice to Sura Group, including preparation of updated manuals and internal policies, particularly in relation to the group’s Afore funds and Afore insurance company in Mexico.
- Provision of compliance services on an ongoing basis to securities broker SIF–ICAP (a Mexican Stock Exchange-backed inter-dealer), including regulatory matters and compliance reports for the Mexican financial authorities.